The Scottish Government, in collaboration with Scottish universities, are offering Scotland’s Saltire Scholarships to citizens of select countries who wish to study full-time Masters degrees fully delivered in Scottish universities, in the areas of science, technology, creative industries, healthcare and medical sciences, and renewable and clean energy.
The scholarships target students who aspire to become influential leaders and who have wide ranging interests outside their studies, as well as a desire to broaden their personal and academic experience in Scotland.
Type: Masters Degree
Host: Scottish Government
Host Institution(s): Scotland’s higher education institutions
Deadline: 28 May 2021 (Annual)
Study in: UK
Course starts Fall 2021
Level/Field(s) of study:
Masters degree in science, technology, creative industries, healthcare and medical sciences, or renewable and clean energy offered at Scottish Universities. Distance learning courses are eligible.
Examples of subject ares include:
• Science – e.g. Earth Sciences; Environment; Energy; Geology; Weather and Climate; Plants/Botany; Animals/Zoology.
• Technology – e.g. Software; Engineering; Bioinformatics; Information; Systems; Multimedia; Engineering; Computers.
• Creative industries – e.g. Communications, Media and Culture; Broadcasting; Film; Animation; Journalism; Cultural; Publishing; New Media Studies; Computer Games / Computer Arts; Design; Graphic; Industrial; Interior; Fashion.
• Healthcare and medical sciences – e.g. Physical and Life Sciences; Astronomy; Chemistry; Physics; Biology; Health Sciences; Biotechnology.
• Renewable and clean energy -e.g. Sustainable Engineering; Renewable Energy; Biomass / Bio fuels; Hydro / Solar / Tidal / Wind power.
Number of Scholarships:
Up to 50
Nationals of the following countries: Canada, China (including Hong Kong), India, Japan, Pakistan and USA.
Each award is worth £8000 to be used towards tuition fees for the duration of 1 year of full time study on a postgraduate Masters programme at any of Scotland’s higher education institutions.
Any additional costs and expenses are the responsibility of the student.
• Have a conditional or unconditional offer of a place at a Scottish university on an eligible course that will be delivered physically in Scotland or via distance online learning or via a combination of both.
• Be citizens of Canada, India, Japan, USA, Pakistan or China (Hong Kong citizens are also eligible as it is a Special Administrative Region of China)
• Be able to demonstrate that they can meet the costs of living in Scotland and the remaining tuition fees.
• Not have previously studied in Scotland.
• Not have previously received a Saltire Scholarship.
• Meet the language requirements of the course.
• Complete an application form and submit it by the closing date of 28 May 2021.
Applicants must demonstrate an interest in studying in Scotland and/or at a specific Scottish university and aspire to work and study in a global context and take a position of leadership in their chosen career. They must also demonstrate a willingness and the necessary interpersonal and communication skills required to participate in the programme of activities that accompanies the scholarships.
In order to apply for a Saltire Scholarship, candidates must have a conditional or unconditional offer of a place at a Scottish university on an eligible course. The scholarship application form must be submitted online and should include your unique reference number you will have received in the offer letter from your Scottish university.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: https://www.scotland.org/study/saltire-scholarships