Deadline: April 2, 2021
Applications are open for the Women In International Security (WIIS) Next Generation Gender, Peace and Security Symposium 2021. The WIIS Next Generation Symposium (NGS) is a highly competitive and prestigious program. It is part of a larger WIIS initiative to bridge existing divides between the traditional security community and the Women, Peace and Security (WPS) community.
The 2021 symposium will convene an international cohort of 15 graduate students and young professionals for a unique virtual program examining national and international security challenges from a GPS perspective. The 2021 Symposium will devote particular attention to the nexus of gender and security in three areas: the environmental field, including climate change; terrorism and violent extremism; and emerging technologies, including cybersecurity.
- Selected participants will become WIIS Next Generation Fellows and will be recognized as such on their website.
- In addition, WIIS Next Generation Fellows will receive complimentary memberships to WIIS, which entitles them to WIIS member benefits such as: access to publications, mentorship opportunities, and invitations to exclusive events and other networking opportunities.
- NGS 2021 Fellows will also join an exclusive mentorship and networking platform that connects them with former NGS Fellows.
- Open to young professionals with an M.A. or higher academic degree; or graduate students currently enrolled in a Masters or Ph.D. program in international affairs, security studies, gender studies, anthropology, or a related discipline. (Recent graduates, as well as individuals who will be enrolled in a graduate program within the next academic year, will also be considered.)
- Be between the ages of 25 and 40.
- Fluent in both spoken and written English.
- Available to participate (remotely) in all scheduled days of the symposium.
- All Genders are encouraged to apply.
Candidates must provide the following application materials and information before April 2, 2021, 11:59 pm EST:
- Completed application form
- Biographical information
- Letter of interest, which must clearly address the following:
- Why the applicant is interested in participation in the symposium;
- How the applicant’s experience, education, and general background would contribute to the 2021 Next Generation Symposium (list 2-3 potential contributions);
- A description of the applicant’s research and writing interests; and
- A specific explanation of how the symposium would enhance the applicant’s future career goals.
- Summary of a research or writing project the candidate would like to present in the Policy roundtable (Summary should be between 250-500 words maximum)
Two letters of reference should be submitted directly to WIIS at: NextGenerationSymposium@wiisglobal.org. References must include the applicant’s name in the subject line.
All materials should be uploaded and submitted within the application form, excluding letters of reference. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.